2023-07-05 -- Cable Cars of Mont Blanc

Most of hiking and ski fans know Chamonix. Breathtaking views of the tallest mountain in the Europe, Mont Blanc as French call it, or Monte Bianco in Italian.

Travel between France to Italy in this region has been a challenge throughout the history. Today a tunnel between the two countries, Mont Blanc Tunnel, connects them. It is about 11.5km/ 7.2 miles, and costs about 65 Euros to cross each way. Speed is limited and cars have to keep a 60km/hr speed and a minimum distance between the cars are mandatory.









The tunnel has been constructed at about 1300m above sea level. No one needs to scale to above 4500m from sea level to get to the other side. Not bad.

But that wasn't the point, there is a much more interesting way to get to the other side. Of course if you are not afraid of the height, and do not feel claustrophobic. Cable Cars.

I have to admit, the moment any ski lift, cable car, gundala, ... leaves a station my heart skips a beat. I am not claustrophobic per se, but I don't like being in a sardine can either. I fight my way to get to a window to see outside. 

I co-designed my first and last cable car decades ago, I was only 21, and in college. And very stupid. I did not understand the value of humans. There was a war between Iran and Iraq and during any war bridges are an easy target. 

I was put in a position to build a cable car, and I did it. For me it was just math, solving a puzzle, and a bragging rights. I will never do that again for a million years. In that period of time, I try to forget, I had to design a diameter and length of cables, proper sags with and without load, design foundations, a pulley system, a box to carry a car and people, and other structural elements, and then  implement it. 

The shear complexity of the design makes me 100 times more skeptic and anxious today. Don't take me wrong, I have the outmost respect for engineers who know what they are doing. I am sure every safety factor is implemented. (And I am not just talking about those percentages we were adding to the load factors and taking off for material quality)

So, if you find yourself in Chamonix prepare yourself to travel to Italy in style! You are going to ride some of the coolest cable cars in the world! 

In France, which perhaps is the most accessible, you will find yourself at the Aiguille du Midi Telepherique station.


You are going to go up in two phases, it is  along journey. First to half way in one car and then to the top in another car.





Of course once there, and assuming unlike me, you easily and without hesitation crossed the bridges connecting the rocks, first you want to go up to the top to see one of the most beautifuls scenes of your life time.




If you are brave enough, you could stand on a floating glass at almost 2.5km over Chamonix too. I have to admit, I couldn't!


Still you are in France. Now it is the time to travel to Italy!



The tallest point is Mont Blanc, and your going to travel right below it.
Gondolas are right to the East of the mountain, and you will be travelling from North to South in triple cars. This is called Valle Blanche Arial Tramway. And here how they look. DO you see the tiny cars!? In this picture they are passing each other.


Once you arrive to the otherside, you are entering Italy. Oh, no wait, you might be still in France. Let's be clear, according to the French, Point Helbronner , is in France. According to Italians, it is in Italy. But if you walk few steps you are in Italy. An official line can be seen on top of a 360 view platform marking the border.







The greatest view is to the South. It seems as if you stand on the tippy tows you may be able to see the entire Italy. It is just breathtaking. 


The post modern building has been designed like crystals. That is not a coincidence, this is a place that some of the most beautiful gems are found. There is a museum for you to visit and enjoy. 



Now it is the time to go down in South. You would need to hop on another cable car, this time a modern piece of machinery, and go to Courmayeur in Italy.

Meet Skyway Monte Bianco. It is long enough again that you have to do it twice. First to the half point, and then the other half. Slightly larger capacity, a lot of glass, but above all, the cylindrical cabin rotates 360 degrees between two station. So you have a 360 view of surroundings! Twice!






By any account, no matter politicians or nationalists agree, you are in Italy.


(c) I have personally taken the pictures and own them. Feel free to use them as you may like.







Comments

  1. Anonymous07 July, 2023

    Wonderful description and great photos... added to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Views and pizzas you'll never forget ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment